Altgelt Suite, with a king pillowtop bed and a sitting area with a loveseat and desk, is the largest room in the Carriage House. The ample bath features a shower. The crisp white trim sets off the painted aged wood floor and blends the modern with the antique furniture and fixtures. The headboard is a repurposed interior door with the original hardware. The coffee table was created from an old wood picture frame and a new metal inlay. The Algelt Suite, which was originally the hotel kitchen and sits over a sealed cellar, opens onto the courtyard and gazebo.
Ernst Hermann Altgelt (1832–1878) is considered the founder of Comfort and honored with a bronze bust in Comfort Park. Born in Germany, he immigrated to New Orleans before he was twenty. John Vles, his employer, sent him to the Texas frontier to survey and determine the value of 4,500 acres Vles had purchased. Altgelt was so taken by the beauty of the Hill Country that he persuaded his father to finance buying 1,000 acres next to Vles property. A portion of both men’s land was divided into residential lots and Comfort was founded on September 3, 1854. Ernst Altgelt married Emma Franziska Murck in 1855. Emma conducted school in her home and published articles on life in Texas. Ernst Altgelt became a lawyer and in 1860, was identified as the wealthiest man in Comfort with real estate worth $18,000.